Monday, February 4, 2008

Beginning of the Semester

Hello All! My name is Elise Bottarini and I am a Junior Life Science Education major at Ashland University. Right now I am taking an class focused on enhancing the technology skills of future teachers. This class is very important because I believe teachers need to be aware of the many opportunities that technology in the classroom can offer. We read an article explaining all the benefits technology brings such as connecting students to the outside world (making them globally aware), allowing for more artistic expression in the classroom, and giving students different methods of learning. I think that by the time I have a classroom of my own, technology will be more commonplace in schools. Actually, when I did observations for a class last semester, I saw many SmartBoards in the schools I attended. SmartBoards were not part of my education until I came to Ashland, so I am impressed that first graders have been introduced to such technology and are familiar with how they work.

For another assignment, I created a Word document worksheet. I have been using word for many years, but have been unfamiliar with many of its features. I had never used borders or text art for a Word document because typically I use it solely as a word processor. It was amazing how artistic one can be using Word! I thought that was what Microsoft Publisher was for! For the newsletter, I created an informational page about how substances can move across the cell membrane which would be pertinent to a high school biology class. I included pictures of how each method worked because I know that some students are more visual learners rather than simply reading how it is done. This assignment was very helpful in making me aware of the features of Microsoft Word, and I enjoyed being able to add some artistic expression to an assignment!

That is all I have on my mind for now! Until next time.....

1 comment:

Dr. Deanna Romano said...

Elise,
Excellent work with your blog!!!